[OpenAFS] Strange kernel messages from yesterday...

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:47:06 +0100 (CET)

> > Ext3 works too
> > (server or client), but slower.
> >
> Hm, is ext3 slower if used on server? In that case, anyone checked why?

My benchmarks (done some years ago) showed that ext3 is extremely slow
on meta data operations like file creation an delete (compared to
xfs). Vos backup, move (everything that makes clones and deletes them
later) does a lot of those. I have not bothered to debug ext3 (where
you in addition to that can run out of inodes (*)) but used the faster
xfs file system instead.

Harald.

(*) Which of course recently happened on our Lustre file system
partitions where you have to use ext3.