[OpenAFS] installing 64bit OAFS on vista

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 15:17:54 -0700

--0016e6480e089ca2e004777edd1f

I note the following from web site regarding the 64bit openafs:

Note: In 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows there are 64-bit and 32-bit
versions of the command prompt and the Explorer Shell.  It is very important
that when installing applications that the installers be started from a
64-bit process.  It is strongly recommended that the Add/Remove Programs
Control Panel be used to initiate installations on 64-bit Microsoft Windows
operating systems.

Yet, in all the searching I have done, on my vista 64 in the 'Programs and
Features' control panel (the replacement for add/remove programs) there is
no option to install or add a program from an msi. The only options related
to this are to

buy programs from windows market place
install a program from the network
view purchased software

I am really starting to hate Vista more which is something I didn't think
was possible.

How does one install openafs 64 on vista 64 if you can't just launch the
executable? That is how I originally install the 1.5.60 client -- now I am
at a dead end. Will some please kill Vista and make it go away....

--
David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU

--0016e6480e089ca2e004777edd1f

I note the following from web site regarding the 64bit openafs:<div><br></d=
iv><div><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-family: &#39;Times N=
ew Roman&#39;; font-size: medium; ">Note: In 64-bit versions of Microsoft W=
indows there are 64-bit and 32-bit versions of the command prompt and the E=
xplorer Shell.=C2=A0 It is very important that when installing applications=
 that the installers be started from a 64-bit process.=C2=A0 It is strongly=
 recommended that the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel be used to initiate=
 installations on 64-bit Microsoft Windows operating systems.</span><br cle=
ar=3D"all">
 &#39;Programs and Features&#39; control panel (the replacement for add/rem=
ove programs) there is no option to install or add a program from an msi. T=
he only options related to this are to=C2=A0</div>
r></div><div>I am really starting to hate Vista more which is something I d=
idn&#39;t think was possible.</div>
#39;t just launch the executable? That is how I originally install the 1.5.=
60 client -- now I am at a dead end. Will some please kill Vista and make i=
t go away....</div>
0424<br>

--0016e6480e089ca2e004777edd1f--