[OpenAFS] The removal of afscreds.exe and afs_config.exe on Windows Vista and Windows 7: Seeking Opinions

Fri, 09 Oct 2009 20:24:33 -0400

Chaz Chandler wrote:

> And some of the other comments on the list, could the future of afscreds
> be isolated to #1 (unprivileged-type activities)?

While this could certainly be an intermediary step I do not consider it
a long term solution.  Windows Error Reporting indicates that in the
last 90 days there have been approximately 2000 reports of a user
terminating afscreds because it was deemed unresponsive.  This is a
result of the program architecture which performs all of the credential
acquisition, validation and renewal operations within the user interface
thread.

I would prefer that someone develop a replacement from scratch.

Jeffrey Altman