[OpenAFS] console messages: "all buffers locked"

Rainer Toebbicke rtb@pclella.cern.ch
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:51:24 +0100

Simon Wilkinson schrieb:

> All of that is a long winded way of saying I don't really know what's
> causing your issue. One key diagnostic question is whether the cache
> manager continues to operate once it's run out of buffers. If we have a
> reference count imbalance somewhere, then the machine will never
> recover, and will report a lack of buffers for every operation it
> performs. If the cache manager does recover, then it may just mean that
> we need to look at either having a larger number of buffers, or making
> our buffer allocation dynamic. Both should be pretty straightforward,
> for Linux at least.
>
> What happens to your clients once they've hit the error?

In two cases AFS continued to work. In two others however afs all AFS now
stops after /afs, and eventually the looong lines with 'all buffers lockedall
buffers lockedall buffers locked' (you could add a "\n" to your patch while
you're at it) appear in the syslog.

I'll see if I can crank the 50 up an order of magnitude and track the
increases. However, this *is* a stress test with about 100 parallel "jobs" per
client, not yet necessarily a leak, and even 25 simultaneous "FindBlobs"
aren't unthinkable.

Rainer Toebbicke
European Laboratory for Particle Physics(CERN) - Geneva, Switzerland
Phone: +41 22 767 8985       Fax: +41 22 767 7155