[OpenAFS] symantec netbackup on Linux

Hoskins, Matthew Matthew.Hoskins@njit.edu
Tue, 1 Sep 2009 20:21:06 -0400

Hey Gary, When we here at NJIT read you post we sort of rolled our eyes.  N=
ot at you, at Symantec.

First off, I cant help you.  But let me tell you why.   (normally I wouldnt=
 reply when I cant help!)

We tried fighting this battle when they first announced that AFS support wa=
s "going away"... Which they did, by way of a appendix buried in the manual=
.   They are dropping support by offering only official support for ancient=
 versions of the software.   Which is useless.  When we called them on this=
, we got nowhere.  We went as high as we could, but in the end, didn't get =
any traction.=20

We are a HUGE Netbackup user, and a HUGE OpenAFS user.   Symantec just does=
n't care.

We are still limping along with using NetBackup 6.0 on Solaris/SPARC.   How=
ever, there are MAJOR problems.  Ever had trouble with restoring incrementa=
l backups?  We essentially have to restore each image as separate jobs.   W=
e have made the decision that we need to dump NetBackup for our OpenAFS cel=
ls.  =20

We are using alternate methods, a form of scripted disk-2-disk vos full and=
 incremental dumps, when then Netbackup picks up and puts on tape.   But on=
e cell (our largest) still remains on NetBackup/Solaris/SPARC.  We havnt be=
en able to get any other platform versions working reliably.   I've tried t=
he RHEL4+5/NetBackup 6 and gave up.=20

-Matt (& the rest of us here at NJIT)