[OpenAFS] The removal of afscreds.exe and afs_config.exe on Windows Vista and Windows 7: Seeking Opinions

Dave B botsch@cnf.cornell.edu
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:31:09 -0400

While I haven't looked in about a year, with the current version of MIT KfW
netidmgr (I believe the v2 beta may fix this), users doing cross-realm authn
to get afs tokens have to manually set up the mapping between the cross-realm
kerberos user and the afs user. Otherwise, it doesn't work. afs_creds just
works for seeing token status and getting new tokens (which is the only
functionality of tokens we care about). Doing the setup in netidmgr would
sometimes also by virtue of setting something write in user-specific registry
settings for things like ticket lifetime, overriding the krb5.ini system
defaults.

In other words, non-afscreds for display/getting/destroying tokens is an added
administrative burden.

Perhaps the above has been fixed and is no longer a concern.

--
David William Botsch