[OpenAFS] Shared r/w access to numerous sqlite databases: an appropriate application for AFS?

Brandon Simmons brandon.m.simmons@gmail.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2010 16:06:18 -0400

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Matt W. Benjamin <matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Simon is correct. =A0A byte-range locking implementation for OpenAFS is b=
eing funded by Your File System, Inc., under its DOE SBIR Phase II grant. =
=A0As stated elsewhere by Jeff, there are (or will be) structures for makin=
g completed available to the community during the course of the work.

> However, my understanding that shared r/w access to sqlite through AFS pr=
obably does work, provided you ensure sqlite uses the correct locking style=
 (cf. sqlite's os_unix.c):

> #define SQLITE_WHOLE_FILE_LOCKING =A00x0001 =A0 /* Use whole-file locking=
 */

> This feature is apparently due to Adam Megacz, who posted briefly about i=
t in 2006. =A0See http://marc.info/?l=3Dsqlite-users&m=3D116742195016159&w=
=3D2 .

> Regards,
>
> Matt

Thanks for the response. It seems like whole-file locking in sqlite
would be a good choice for me in any case, and I can't imagine needing
that kind of writing concurrency.

Doing a little more research, this message describes a few more issues
with sqlite over NFS which I suppose might apply to AFS:

http://old.nabble.com/SQLite-on-NFS-cache-coherency-td15655701.html

In a situation where the whole-file locking scheme is used, would AFS
be an acceptable choice? Would it be better than NFS?

For instance I envision a handful of clients on different machines
each writing to a single sqlite DB every few seconds; would this
defeat AFS's caching scheme?

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.