[OpenAFS] Shared r/w access to numerous sqlite databases: an appropriate application for AFS?

Todd Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:43:55 -0400

On 04/08/2010 04:06 PM, Brandon Simmons wrote:
> For instance I envision a handful of clients on different machines
> each writing to a single sqlite DB every few seconds; would this
> defeat AFS's caching scheme?
>
> Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

Every few seconds your cached data is going to be invalidated, which will make
sure you server stays thoroughly utilized.

Sqlite shines when you don't need a data base daemon running on some central
server and access requirements fit file ACLs. You don't have that. You need to
distribute at a higher level. Bite the bullet and set up a real db you can
connect to and write from multiple clients, and let it do what it's designed
to do: arbitrate writes to maintain data integrity. AFS doesn't solve this
problem (nor does NFS). Sorry.
--
Todd_Lewis@unc.edu