[OpenAFS] Windows 7 Sleep behavior-Broken AFS Lock on wakeup

Wayne Greene wayne_greene@unc.edu
Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:21:29 -0400

Hello,

We are using Windows 7 Enterprise, MIT Kerberos for Windows 3.22, and
Open AFS 1-5.6.800 and have encountered a problem for our laptop users
and the sleep function. When the computers wake, the AFS lock symbol in
the system tray shows that it is broken and cannot connect to the AFS
service. Net ID manager shows they have AFS tokens and kerberos tickets
but AFS shares cannot be accessed until the computer is restarted. I
have tried destroying the Network ID credentials, stopping the AFS
service then sleeping the computer, regaining credentials and restarting
the service and after waking up it still doesn't work. I found a power
management option in the Lenovo Power Manager that will keep the network
connection for a specific amount of time during sleep, but that has not
worked either. These so far are Lenovo computers, my test machine is a
ThinkPad R400 but the symptom is the same on a few different models. Is
anyone else experiencing this and/or has anyone found a fix if so? Thanks.

Wayne Greene
Computer Science
UNC Chapel Hill