[OpenAFS] Possible explanation(s) for obvious performance problems?

Rich Sudlow rich@nd.edu
Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:51:11 -0400

On Apr 24, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> [...]
> hitting an ext3 filesystem, OpenAFS is doing significantly more work.
>
> With the ext3 case, the dd calls the write() syscall, the data gets
> copied from user into kernel space, the kernel marks the page as
> dirty, and at a moment of its choosing flushes that page to disk.
> Job done.
>
> With OpenAFS, dd calls write(), and the data gets copied into the
> kernel. The OpenAFS kernel module then copies the page to the local
> disk cache (by calling ext3's write), and returns control to the
> user. When dd completes it calls close. The kernel module then loads
> the data back from the disk cache (by calling ext3's read, if the
> data has been paged out), and converts it into a set of arguments to
> an RPC call. It figures out where to deliver that RPC to, possibly
> by making network calls to the vlserver. The RPC is then
> checksummed, encrypted, split up into appropriately addressed UDP
> packets and passed to the kernel's networking stack. The networking
> drivers then route the packets (hopefully round the loopback
> interface, but that does depend) and deliver them to the fileserver.
> This runs in userspace, so the data gets copied out of the kernel
> into the fileserver's buffers. The file server then decrypts the
> data, decodes the RPC arguments to get the data being written, works
> out which file it corresponds to, and whether it needs to notify
> anyone that that file has changed. It then calls ext3's write()
> syscall which copies the data from user into kernel space, the
> kernel marks that page as dirty, and eventually flushes it to disk.
> Finally, we're done.
>
> With a level playing field, a directly connected local disk is
> always be faster than a network filesystem - there's simply less
> work to be done when throwing data straight onto a local disk than
> there is when you send it across the network.
>
>> Any ideas as to where that bad performance might come from? (I do
>> have
>> encryption enabled, but since it's only plain DES encryption on
>> current machines that most likely can't be an explanation for the
>> performance problem).
>
> The encryption isn't DES, it's fcrypt. And encryption does have a
> significant effect on performance (not only doing the encryption
> itself, but also the number of additional copies that it adds in to
> the data path)
>
> It's worth taking a look at the configuration of your fileserver.
> There's been a lot written here in the past about the ideal settings
> for the fileserver - I'll leave you to Google over the list, but
> it's just worth noting that the out of the box configuration is not
> likely to result in good performance.
>
> As a datapoint, using your test across a network, my homedirectory
> is seeing write speeds of 70 MB/s from an OpenAFS 1.4.11 client.
> We're currently running our fileservers with "-L -p 128 -rxpck 400 -
> busyat 600 -s 1200 -l 1200 -cb 100000 -b 240 -vc 1200"

As another data point on our fileservers we use

-p 128 -b 480 -l 2400 -s 2400 -vc 2400 -cb 64000 -rxpck 800 -udpsize
1048576 -busyat 1200 -hr 1 -vattachpar 4 -implicit all -nojumbo

But I think it's your client (or server) set to 100 Mb.

Rich