[OpenAFS] Why is speed of AFS loopback adapter set to 10 Mb, even if physical interface is Gb capable?

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:39:00 +0200

On 24.04.2010 22:39, Rich Sudlow wrote:

> You mentioned that your network connections are Gb capable - but are th=
ey
> set to Gb?? Your speeds are typical of a client with 100 Mb network
> connections.

Usual auto negotiation does its job quite good.
But OpenAFS enables encryption of data transfer on each standard install
- which results in drastic performance decreases.
E.g. my workstation client (linux) does 10-12 MB/sec with encryption
enabled, but >70 MB/sec with encryption disabled.
My point is on: disable encryption.
Btw, our linux clients does roughly 20-50 MB/sec so far. Still need to
test memcache.

> Rich
>=20
>>
>> (In case I forgot to mention something, please don't hesitate to ask).
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Kind regards & have a nice weekend,
>>
>>   Holger

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
--=20
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723