[OpenAFS] Why is speed of AFS loopback adapter set to 10 Mb, even if physical interface is Gb capable?

Holger Rauch holger.rauch@empic.de
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:14:44 +0200

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

Hi Rich,

first of all, thanks a lot for your reply.

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, Rich Sudlow wrote:

> [...]=20
> In our cell we typically see write speeds of 60 - 85 MB sec  on
> gigabit clients (with no client tuning).

For Windows or Linux clients, or both? Besides, have you (or anybody
else subscribed to this list) any recommendations for tuning on the
server side?

>=20
> You mentioned that your network connections are Gb capable - but are
> they
> set to Gb??=20

Yes, the phyiscal interface is set to GB, I notice this when I do an
SCP transfer (also encrypted, even stronger than plain old DES) to a
native ext3 fs where I get exactly the speeds you mentioned. So, I
suppose it's likely to be something else, i. e. not the setting of the
physical interface.

>Your speeds are typical of a client with 100 Mb network
> connections.

Yes, I know. But the settings are clearly GB on both sides (client and
sever).

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

   Holger
  =20