[OpenAFS] Re: pts -expandgroups vs -supergroups

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:45:07 -0500

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:00:46 -0400
Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> ok, so -supergroups expands parents and -expandgroups expands
> children?

No. -expandgroups expands whatever we're displaying (I think). If you
are displaying the children of a group, -expandgroups will expand all of
the children. If you are displaying what groups an entry is in,
-expandgroups will expand all of the supergroups.

-supergroups displays the containing groups of a group instead of the
group membership. That is, currently if you pass 'pts mem' a group, it
will display the members of that group; if you give it a user, it will
display the groups that user is in. Before -supergroups, there was no
way to display what groups a group was in.

Let me try an example to explain all of them. Say we have a group
group1, which contains group2, which contains user3.

'pts mem group1' will display "group2".

'pts mem group1 -expandgroups' will display "group2, user3"

'pts mem group2 -supergroups' will display "g1".

'pts mem user3' will display "group2"

'pts mem user3 -expandgroups' will display "group2, group1"

> If that's the case, -supergroups would make more sense as
> "-parentgroups"
>
> Is it too late to rename that option?

I thought that the term 'supergroup' has always referred to a group that
contained another group (in AFS PTS). So, you're listing the group's
supergroups... I don't know, it makes sense to me. We could just make a
-parentgroups switch do the same thing as -supergroups, if there is
demand.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net