[OpenAFS] Re: experience of SQLite on AFS

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:18:37 -0400

--Apple-Mail-43--260541656

On Apr 25, 2010, at 23:00 , Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:19:24 -0400
> Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
>> When a whole file lock is write-held, all of the dirty data in the
>> cache must be written back to the file server before the lock is
>> released. This is currently not being done and as a result, the
>> database becomes corrupted.
>
> If I understand Simon correctly, clients are also not getting file
> updates while the file is opened O_RDWR. That would still seem to be a
> problem even if we flush on unlock.

Flushing will update the server, which will break callbacks as
necessary.  The default behavior is to only flush changes to the
server on close, but there's no good reason to change that in the
situation where there is no locking; the specced behavior remains
"last closer wins".  (I think fsync() updates the server in all cases,
though.)

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu