[OpenAFS] Why is speed of AFS loopback adapter set to 10 Mb, even if physical interface is Gb capable?

Holger Rauch holger.rauch@empic.de
Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:32:44 +0200

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

Hi Jeffrey,

thanks a lot for your reply.

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> [...]=20
> 1.5.74 is the current release.

Yes, but it wasn't at the time I setup up the Windows machine.

>=20
> > Unfortunately, the maximum transfer speed on Windows is about 8-10
> > MB/sec when I copy local files to an OpenAFS volume.=20
>=20
> This is common when encryption is in use, jumbo grams are disabled, and
> the file server is running with its defaults.

Ok, but jumbo grams are an IPv6 only feature, right? (At least that's
what googling revealed). Any good hints for tuning of the file server?

> [...]=20
> Disabling encryption of the data will result in significant performance
> improvements and the cost of sending your data in the clear.

Ok, will think about it.

> [...]=20
> In reading the rest of the thread, there appears to be a mixture of
> reports describing Windows and Unix cache manager performance numbers.
> In this e-mail you are asking specifically about Windows.  I'm not sure
> that the discussion of tuning Unix cache managers is of any value to you.

Well, probably tuning both sides (Windows and Unix cache managers) is
of value to me, so I'm open to suggestions for both.

> [...]
> On Windows, there is one type of cache.  It is a memory mapped paging fil=
e.

Ok, how do I tune that appropriately?

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanations.

Kind regards,

   Holger
  =20
--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C