[OpenAFS] maximum number of files per directory??

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:39:51 +0100

On 11 Aug 2010, at 10:17, TIARA System Man wrote:
> i have one directory which contents 67,434 files in ext3 directory. i
> can't copy all files into an afs directory. do you have any suggestion
> of this issue? what is the maximum number of files per directory?

man fileserver says:

       The maximum number of directory entries is 64,000 if all of the =
entries
       have names that are 15 octets or less in length. A name that is =
15
       octets long requires the use of only one block in the directory.
       Additional sequential blocks are required to store entries with =
names
       that are longer than 15 octets. Each additional block provides an
       additional length of 32 octets for the name of the entry. Note =
that if
       file names use an encoding like UTF-8, a single character may be
       encoded into multiple octets.

It also goes on to say:
       In real world use, the maximum number of objects in an AFS =
directory is
       usually between 16,000 and 25,000, depending on the average name
       length.

But that really depends on your "real world" - we have a number of =
directories here that have 60,000 or so objects in them. In fact, to hit =
a limit as low as 16,000 entires, every filename would need to take up 4 =
slots, which means every name would have to be more than 80 characters =
long.

Cheers,

Simon.=