[OpenAFS] Re: releasing ro volumes with small deltas

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:57:01 -0500

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:49:07 -0400 (EDT)
olin.afs.7ia@shivers.mail0.org wrote:

> My question is: how much data gets shipped over the net to update
> volume VRO on server 2? Does server 1 ship the entire volume (VS
> bytes), or does it ship just the changed file (about 1K bytes)?

In general, just the small file. There are a couple of exceptions, so if
you don't see that happening you may not be doing anything wrong. If you
add a new RO site and re-release, all of the data gets pushed to all
sites. There also might be some corner cases w.r.t. how quickly you
create some files relative to when you release, but you shouldn't see
the whole volume need to get shipped over the wire.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net