[OpenAFS] Re: Proposed changes for server log rotation

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 13:30:35 -0600

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 13:50:36 -0500
Michael Meffie <mmeffie@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> I propose in some future release of openafs this behavior be
> deprecated and, by default, the server would simply append to the
> already existing log file on startup. Also, each server would handle
> the HUP signal to (at least) reopen the log file when it is rotated
> by an external tool such as logrotate.

We already use HUP to reset the logging debug level, though.

The fileserver already automatically checks every five minutes (I think)
if it needs to reopen the log, and does so if the log file was moved. If
people would find that acceptable, I'd rather just do something similar
for all daemons. Unless we want to try to have the process guess whether
you wanted to rotate the log or reset the log level, but that seems like
it might be error prone even if we can guess that pretty well.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net