[OpenAFS] Proposed changes for server log rotation

Michael Meffie mmeffie@sinenomine.net
Thu, 02 Dec 2010 15:06:19 -0500

chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 13:50:36 -0500
> Michael Meffie <mmeffie@sinenomine.net> wrote:
>
>> I propose in some future release of openafs this behavior be
>> deprecated and, by default, the server would simply append to the
>> already existing log file on startup. Also, each server would handle
>> the HUP signal to (at least) reopen the log file when it is rotated
>> by an external tool such as logrotate. A .pid file for each server
>> process would be created to allow the log rotate tool to signal the
>> server processes to reopen log files after rotating the log files.
>
> could the afs servers optionally use the existing syslog mechanism.
> this would allow for a couple other things, like centralized logging.

Yes, I didn't mention, the syslog features are already in place. It is
in use at several sites (include SNA now). And you can already log to
fifos as well. I'm referring to plain file based logging.

Thanks,
Mike