[OpenAFS] Re: Proposed changes for server log rotation

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 02 Dec 2010 17:05:31 -0800

Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> writes:

> The fileserver already automatically checks every five minutes (I think)
> if it needs to reopen the log, and does so if the log file was moved. If
> people would find that acceptable, I'd rather just do something similar
> for all daemons.

I think that won't work.  You need to be able to trigger the rotation
immediately; five minutes later, the file that the server is still writing
to has probably been unlinked after being compressed, and all the output
written in those five minutes will have been lost.