[OpenAFS] Proposed changes for server log rotation

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:47:08 -0500

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 22:22:11 -0500
Michael Meffie <mmeffie@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> The key point is that currently some sites may be relying on
> weekly restarts and the current rename from FileLog to FileLog.old
> to avoid filling a disk partition. I think a more sensible approach
> in long term, for sites that choose to log to regular files,
> is to just let the server append, and let the modern log rotate
> tool of your choice deal with the log rotation.

perhaps the absolute minimum would be to implement a signal that causes
the log files to be closed and reopened just like a restart.  this
could be issued weekly via bosserver to emulate the restart behavior.
people want new behavior like syslog, would need opt in and change
command line params (eventually switch to this as the default).