[OpenAFS] Re: Proposed changes for server log rotation

Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Sat, 04 Dec 2010 10:38:28 -0500

In message <20101203155612.e7a694f5.adeason@sinenomine.net>,Andrew Deason writes:
>On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 13:00:37 -0500
>chas williams - CONTRACTOR <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:53:08 -0600
>> Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Why lose the logs? It's already annoying enough when I get told a
>> > "vos release" failed and there's no record of the "vos" output.
>> > That's going to make my life difficult when someone can't remember
>> > when or what they salvaged by hand.
>>
>> are you sure you dont want auditing instead of attempting to use the
>> logs to reverse engineer what happened.
>
>? An audit log may tell me what command was issued, but won't tell me
>what the salvager actually salvaged (or why it did _not_ salvage
>something), or what it did to which vnodes, etc.

it still isnt clear to me that i should expect the standard tools to
tell me what someone else did.  i can understand wanting to see what
some tool might have done automatically because of a restart (or some
other failure).

if your other admin cant remember what he did, perhaps he should be
an admin.  if the other admin cant tell you what he did, perhaps he
shouldnt be an admin.  logging isnt meant to solve 'social' issues.

yes, this seems draconian but the only solution is audting/logging inside
the servers of all the commands so you can completely reconstruct what
the other admins are doing.  some people might like this but it really
seems like too much to me.