[OpenAFS] Re: Proposed changes for server log rotation

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:50:46 -0600

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 10:38:28 -0500
"Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR)" <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> >> are you sure you dont want auditing instead of attempting to use the
> >> logs to reverse engineer what happened.
> >
> >? An audit log may tell me what command was issued, but won't tell me
> >what the salvager actually salvaged (or why it did _not_ salvage
> >something), or what it did to which vnodes, etc.
>
> it still isnt clear to me that i should expect the standard tools to
> tell me what someone else did.  i can understand wanting to see what
> some tool might have done automatically because of a restart (or some
> other failure).
>
> if your other admin cant remember what he did, perhaps he should be an
> admin.  if the other admin cant tell you what he did, perhaps he
> shouldnt be an admin.  logging isnt meant to solve 'social' issues.

An audit log will tell me what people ran, and people generally know
exactly what they ran and may even be able to tell me that later.

I do _not_ expect people to remember the entirety of a salvage log. I
want to know after the fact that the salvager removed vnode X uniq Y
from volume Z because it was invalid due to reason Q, which the salvager
will tell me in the middle of hundreds of other messages (potentially).
If that information is only output from a 'bos salvage' command, yeah,
_some_ people might save it. Some people might not, and for some people
maybe the command output is too large to keep in whatever output buffer
to copy later, so they've lost it forever.

I can see no reason not to keep it logged.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net