[OpenAFS] Proposed changes for server log rotation

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Sun, 5 Dec 2010 16:52:57 -0600

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
> "Christopher D. Clausen" <cclausen@acm.org> writes:
>> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, this is a very good point.  I think I've used bos getlog maybe
>>> three times in the past fifteen years, so I never think about it,
>>> but I suspect others use it more than I do.
>
>> I'd say that you could BOTH log to syslog AND keep the current log
>> file method.
>
>> I'd actually prefer that myself.
>
> That doesn't solve the problem of your fileserver happily filling
> your / partition unless you restart it properly.

Just curious, has anyone actually reported OpenAFS as filling the /
partition and causing problems?

Are we attempting to solve a problem that no one actually has?

-----

Is it possible to implement a ring-buffer for logging?  Such that only
the last 1MB of messages (or whatever size limit) are kept?  (And kept
in memory for bos getlog to work in additional to whatever logging
someone sets up?)

-----

Other suggestions are pre-allocation of disk space for log files such
that a parition doesn't fill?  That doesn't sound like a good idea to me
though....

<<CDC