[OpenAFS] Proposed changes for server log rotation

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com
Sun, 5 Dec 2010 23:39:47 +0000

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 22:52, Christopher D. Clausen <cclausen@acm.org> wrote:

> Are we attempting to solve a problem that no one actually has?

I am sure someone has encountered it.  Someone has encountered
every problem.  Whether someone reports it is another issue.

I am a proponent of delivering solutions which default
to be the "safe" and the "natural way" to operate.  It results
in least astonishment.

That would include:
0) Using syslog (eventlog on Windows) as a default (it
    is the "Unix" way).  Every administrator already has
    to deal with syslog files filling up, and managing any
    archives they want to provide.
1) Services that run as root should not provide remote
   execution.

That said, I have absolutely no problem with allowing
people to chose different paths, including shooting
themselves in both feet if that is what they choose to
do knowingly.  There are always good reasons to
do things differently in specific environments, including
bypassing all the safeties (google "battleshort").
However, the configurations as delivered should not
default to them.

Gary