[OpenAFS] Re: Proposed changes for server log rotation

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 6 Dec 2010 09:34:09 -0600

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:07:15 +0000
Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 6 Dec 2010, at 04:28, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> >
> > Features that are backwards-incompatible, and cause nontrivial
> > downtime to revert, I'd hope we'd wait at least a release.
>
> We could easily structure this change in a way that preserved
> backwards compatibility.

I'd like to hear how you plan to do that. Old bosservers deal poorly
with new BosConfig directives, and a new BosConfig directive is how
current bosservers turn on restricted mode.

> > And keep in mind I'm trying to think of stable release cycles in
> > terms of what was discussed at BPW 2010, not the glacial pace of
> > e.g. 1.2 -> 1.4. It wouldn't/shouldn't take that long.
>
> We have still to demonstrate that we can rapidly make stable releases.
> 1.6 is taking an age to get out of the door, primarily due to demand
> attach.

DAFS has had nothing to do with this for at least the past 6 months.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net