[OpenAFS] Ubuntu 10.04 Login Issues

Thomas Briggs tbriggs@cs.ship.edu
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 07:54:25 -0500

We use a mixed environment of Ubuntu 10.04 and Mac OSX machines in our =
labs and classrooms.  After our upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04, are users are =
noticing that the first time they log in, GDM accepts their password, =
starts a session, and then terminates.  They can usually log in the =
second time, though sometimes it takes two or three tries.  After a few =
days of running, a 'ps -eaf' shows stray processes from just about every =
user, and every login session since the last reboot. =20

Why am I asking here?  Because this doesn't seem to be widespread Ubuntu =
problem, and I suspect it has something to do with the interaction =
between some new aberration of nature in Ubuntu 10.04 (and there are =
many) and the user's home directories, which are on AFS, and hopefully =
there is another school using it for their classrooms like we.  Also, =
people on this group seem to be more helpful, patient, intelligent, and =
just downright better people :-)

-tom

Dr. Thomas Briggs, Assoc. Professor
Dept. of Computer Science, Shippensburg University
1871 Old Main Drive / Shippensburg, PA 17257 / (717) 477-1178