[OpenAFS] GiveUpAllCallBacks callers

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:33:43 -0800

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 07:47, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

>> c) Just state that 1.4.5 is "too old" to bother
>
> possibly that being today.

While I tend to be of the opinion that at some point you
just have to throw away the bath water (regardless of
the baby squid that has been living in it for a few years,
and has now grown into a full fledged unmanaged monster).
The problem for this case is that use of the RPC will
crash the server.  And it seems likely that if a site
is still running older servers it means that site is not
actively managing (and by that I mean managing
at all) their infrastructure.  An OpenAFS server that
crashes (repeatedly) may be an excuse for someone
to just blame OpenAFS for being a POS, remove it
from their environment, and bad mouth it.  I do not
think we want that, even though I would be tempted
to just have calamari and call it a day.

I think the only pragmatic solution is to hold ones nose
and use the "implied" capability by checking for the
other (GetStatistics64) RPC.  And vow that this is the
absolute last time (until the next time :-).  And, for
this type of problem, we actually have a plan for
the future with the capabilities RPC.

Gary