[OpenAFS] Redundant Internet links

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Thu, 16 Dec 2010 01:55:31 +0100

Hi folks,

It won't be long now before I'll be installing my first OpenAFS cell
at a client site! It's exciting. Even though the organization in
question is small, employing only a dozen people, the network is
interesting: three locations, each with an OpenAFS DB/file server,
redundant Internet links and a mix of Windows and Linux clients.

Regarding the use of the redundant links in the above scenario, would
it be possible -- desirable or wise even -- to present the clients,
which have empty CellServDB files, with DNS AFSDB RRs that point to
five different IP addresses: one internal for the local machine and
four external for the two remote ones?

As for the OpenAFS DB/file servers, I believe they cannot use DNS
discovery in the same way, so would it be possible to configure their
CellServDB files with two IP addresses per remote server?

If that's not an option, it will always be possible to fall back on a
general routing solution, which is going to be configured anyway, but
it would be cool if OpenAFS could, at all times, determine
independently how best to make use of the available links.

Cheers,

Jaap