[OpenAFS] Re: Redundant Internet links

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Sat, 18 Dec 2010 15:16:03 +0100

Quoting Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com>:

>> Yeah, I suspected that would be a problem... despite the fact that the names
>> following the "#" behind the IP addresses would be the same. So, I'll just
>> use one IP address per server in the CellServDB files of the DB/file server
>> machines and let the routing system take care of any communications
>> problems.
>
> Careful here. Things get fun if more than one server ends up believing
> it is the "lowest host" (by IP, numerically) and thus has a tiebreaker
> vote.

I can imagine, but I don't think that will be a problem in this case.
Each database server should never consider that it has any other IP
address except one in particular. The single IP addresses that they
each use to reach their remote companions will never change either.
Only the routing in between will occasionally change as needed when
the main links go down and up.

Cheers,

Jaap