[OpenAFS] Windows client options

Jaap Winius jwinius@umrk.nl
Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:09:00 +0100

Hi folks,

So far, I've been able to get Linux clients to work perfectly with my
MIT Kerberos V / OpenLDAP / OpenAFS servers. No need to create any
local accounts: anyone with a network account can login to any
workstation and none of their personal files are stored locally.

I hope I'm wrong, but the same doesn't seem to be possible with
Windows clients. I've been experimenting with a WinXP (SP3) Pro test
machine running Kerberos for Windows 3.2.2 and OpenAFS for Windows
1.5.7800. It seems to work fine, as I can authenticate and access all
of my files on the network. However, I still have to start by logging
in to a local Windows account.

Is it possible to configure a Windows XP client for single-sign-on, so
that locally no pre-existing account or knowledge of any users is
required? If so, can it also be set up so that the user's home
directories are stored in OpenAFS?

Thanks,

Jaap