[OpenAFS] Package Management in AFS

Patricia O'Reilly oreilly@qualcomm.com
Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:11:37 -0800

We manage 18,000 Unix/Linux machines via configuration files and packages stored in AFS. So far nothing else comes close to scaling as well as AFS. The configuration management system was developed in house. We edit in one place and the information is pulled (from AFS) by the client based on subscription-like "duties" on each afs client. Obviously, you have to run an afs client on every machine. We've been managing our environment this way for 15 years.

--patty