[OpenAFS] Ubuntu 10.04 Login Issues

Thomas M. Payerle payerle@umd.edu
Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:35:05 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Thomas Calderon wrote:

We encountered the same issue when rolling out an updated desktop
environment using Gnome.

gnome-screensaver, for various security reasons, takes a multiprocess
approach.  The main locking process detects mouse/keyboard activity, and
then runs another process to handle the dialog (this allows the dialog process
to safely use higher level desktop widgets, themes, etc.  If it crashes, the
screen remains locked, which is the secure alternative.)

The issue occurs if home directories are in AFS, and the AFS tokens expire
between the locking of the screen and when attempt to unlock it.  The dialog
process then tries to open a window on the display to prompt for the password,
but cannot access ~/.Xauthority as it is in the AFS located home directory
and does not have valid AFS tokens.

I do not see any good ways to get around this.  Allowing something w/out
user's tokens read access to ~/.Xauthority seems rather questionable, plus
awkward as needs some access to ~ as well.  Could probably hack
gnome-screensaver to pass the magic cookie, etc. to the dialog process to
avoid it requiring access to ~/.Xauthority, but I doubt gnome-screensaver
maintainers would be interested in supporting that sort of change for a
small user base of AFS users.

We ended up replacing gnome-screensaver with xautolock+xlockmore combination.
(xlockmore does not use a separate process for the dialog screen.  To maintain
reasonable security, it does not offer all the flexibility, etc. in the dialog
screen that gnome-screensaver does).  (We still allow users to use
gnome-screensaver if they really want to, but with caveat is unsupported and
in particular can be problematic if leave screen locked overnight).