[OpenAFS] Caveats of having AFS cache on a shared ext3 partition in Linux?

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Mon, 01 Feb 2010 10:28:27 +0100 (CET)

> caveats of having the AFS be on an ext3 filesystem in Linux, which
> is shared by the rest of the system?

Slower.

> filling the partition that AFS uses for caching

Means normally reboot.

> Should the 5% root reserved percentage help with that?

In a student lab you could make the reserved percentage so big that it
is unlikely that root (logs) and AFS (cache) fill the partition (both
root and AFS can write over that limit).

> The background to this is I'l be deploying a university computer lab
> full of Apple 21.5" iMacs running Linux as the sole OS. I need to
> set a firmware password, but the Mac will not boot a /boot+LVM
> partition layout with a firmware password, but it will boot with a
> password when I only have one partition. Things boot fine when no
> firmware password is set :(

Hi Jason, you could loopbackmount an ext2. Maybe even tmpfs if you run
a client version that supports tmpfs as a cache file system. Just
don't forget to make a bigger swap in that case.

Harald.