[OpenAFS] Custom MSI Question

Hugh Caldwell hcaldwell@usgs.gov
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 12:53:54 -0500

--=_alternative 0062464A852576BD_=

I do use Orca and create transforms.

I need to know what needs to be modified in the MSI to stop the Log On
dialog box from appearing.

Thanks,

Hugh Caldwell
Astor & Sanders
EWeb Systems Administrator
United States Geological Survey
 703-648-6812 (Office)
 703-598-3472 (Cellular)
hcaldwell@usgs.gov
Room 2C123B

From:
John Perkins <john@cs.wisc.edu>
To:
Hugh Caldwell <hcaldwell@usgs.gov>
Cc:
openafs-info@openafs.org
Date:
02/01/2010 12:13 PM
Re: [OpenAFS] Custom MSI Question
Sent by:
openafs-info-admin@openafs.org

Hugh Caldwell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been tasked with creating a custom msi for our organization and
> have a question that I'm hoping the list can help me with.
>
> Basically I need to disable integrated authentication. I've discovered
> that setting the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\NetworkProvider\LogonOptions=dword:00000000

> disables the integrated authentication but a log on window still
> appears when the users log on to the workstation. Toggling "Obtain AFS
> tokens when logging into Windows" in the afs_config app stops this
> behavior. Could someone tell me what settings are being adjusted by
> the check box in the afs_config app?
>
> If that isn't clear this is the behavior that I'm seeing.
>
> Create and install an msi with the Logon Option set to 0.
> Logon to windows and the afs logon window pops up.
> Go into afs_config and enable the "Optain AFS tokens" checkbox.
> Log off and back on and get an authentication error.
> Go into afs_config and disable the "Optain AFS tokens" checkbox
> Log off and back on and no window pops up. This is the behavior that I
> would like to have when my msi is first installed.
We make similar changes to our AFS installation at install time (along
with setting the cell name, enabling dynroot, etc.).

I suggest you load a copy of Orca--available from Microsoft, I
believe--and generate a transform for the AFS MSI package to change the
LogonOptions registry key and any other registry settings you care to
make.  If you want to make a transformed MSI, use msitran.exe to do that
(also available from Microsoft).  Otherwise you can apply the transform
at install time using msiexec:
    msiexec /i openafs-en_US-1-5-6900.msi /qn /log
C:\temp\afs_install-1_5_6900.log TRANSFORMS=transform.mst
when you do the initial AFS installation.

If you have any other site configuration parameters to make, you may
want to add those to the transform you generate.

--=_alternative 0062464A852576BD_=

in the MSI to stop the Log On dialog box from appearing.</font>
Hugh Caldwell<br>
Astor &amp; Sanders<br>
EWeb Systems Administrator<br>
United States Geological Survey<br>
 703-648-6812 (Office)<br>
 703-598-3472 (Cellular)<br>
hcaldwell@usgs.gov<br>
Room 2C123B<br>
<hr noshade>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Hello,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I've been tasked with creating a custom msi for our organization and
&gt; have a question that I'm hoping the list can help me with.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Basically I need to disable integrated authentication. I've discovered
&gt; that setting the <br>
&gt; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\NetworkProvider\LogonOptions=dword:00000000
&gt;<br>
&gt; disables the integrated authentication but a log on window still <br>
&gt; appears when the users log on to the workstation. Toggling &quot;Obtain
AFS <br>
&gt; tokens when logging into Windows&quot; in the afs_config app stops
this <br>
&gt; behavior. Could someone tell me what settings are being adjusted by
&gt; the check box in the afs_config app?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; If that isn't clear this is the behavior that I'm seeing.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Create and install an msi with the Logon Option set to 0.<br>
&gt; Logon to windows and the afs logon window pops up.<br>
&gt; Go into afs_config and enable the &quot;Optain AFS tokens&quot; checkbox.<br>
&gt; Log off and back on and get an authentication error.<br>
&gt; Go into afs_config and disable the &quot;Optain AFS tokens&quot; checkbox<br>
&gt; Log off and back on and no window pops up. This is the behavior that
I <br>
&gt; would like to have when my msi is first installed.<br>
We make similar changes to our AFS installation at install time (along
with setting the cell name, enabling dynroot, etc.).<br>
I suggest you load a copy of Orca--available from Microsoft, I <br>
believe--and generate a transform for the AFS MSI package to change the
LogonOptions registry key and any other registry settings you care to <br>
make. &nbsp;If you want to make a transformed MSI, use msitran.exe to do
that <br>
(also available from Microsoft). &nbsp;Otherwise you can apply the transform
at install time using msiexec:<br>
 &nbsp; &nbsp;msiexec /i openafs-en_US-1-5-6900.msi /qn /log <br>
C:\temp\afs_install-1_5_6900.log TRANSFORMS=transform.mst<br>
when you do the initial AFS installation.<br>
If you have any other site configuration parameters to make, you may <br>
want to add those to the transform you generate.<br>
--<br>
 &nbsp; John Perkins &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; | &nbsp; University of Wisconsin-Madison<br>
 &nbsp; Researcher &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; | &nbsp; Department of Computer Science<br>
 &nbsp; john@cs.wisc.edu &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
| &nbsp; 1210 W. Dayton St.<br>
 &nbsp; 608-262-0438/608-262-6626 FAX &nbsp;| &nbsp; Madison, WI &nbsp;53706-1685<br>