[OpenAFS] Re: what about partitions larger than 2 TB?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:26:13 -0600

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:16:42 +0100
Giovanni Bracco <giovanni.bracco@enea.it> wrote:

> What is the situation for partitions larger than 2 TB?
>
> We have a file server with two partitions of 5 TB
>
> %vos partinfo linafs1.frascati.enea.it
> Free space on partition /vicepa: 3357685900 K blocks out of total
> 5016031624 Free space on partition /vicepb: 4950671196 K blocks out
> of total 5175721624
>
> and apparentely they works but the "fs" command from openafs 1.4.11
> does not report correctly the information about quota or available
> blocks

The wire protocol that is used to retrieve the information 'fs' reports
cannot currently represent amounts larger than 2TB, so you get undefined
results from 'fs lq' on such partitions. The 'vos' command suite uses a
different wire protocol which can represent them.

There is work being done to alter the protocol to allow for >2TB
partition sizes, but new RPCs are still a little ways out at this point.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net