[OpenAFS] Trying to use OpenAFS-1.5.xx with Linux

Dale Pontius pontius@btv.ibm.com
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:47:36 -0500

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Dale:
>
> The disconnected mode support does not have any capability to auto-fetch
> data into the cache before the user goes offline.
> As a result, the only data or metadata in the cache will be
> those objects which were actively in use (for which a callback
> was obtained from the file server) prior to the disconnection.
>
> There are ideas for how pinning objects to the cache
> should work that have published to the wiki but these and
> a user interface to control them have yet to be implemented.
>
> Jeffrey Altman

I understand.  But I thought since I had run "ls -l" against several
directories that all of that metadata would have been cached and
therefore visible when disconnected.  On my first attempt that appeared
to be true.  On my second attempt, running "ls -l" against a directory
while disconnected against a directory which I had run "ls -l" against
while connected, yielded the question marks - unless I had actually
looked at the file itself.

I wasn't expecting data to have been fetched for me under the covers, I
was just expecting that any and all results I'd seen when connected
should repeat when disconnected.

To be truthful, I'm not even THAT interested in disconnected mode.  I'm
more interested in the ability to "hold things over" while disconnected,
so I can reconnect.  Today I'd have to take down the afs 1.4.x client if
I were about to lose my network connection, and that would mean taking
down my desktop session and all applications - just to suspend.

I want to be able to suspend and restore without loading my session -
including my afs home directory.  This likely means moving from wired to
wireless, wired to another wired, etc.  I'm willing to "just worked
connected" - the disconnected operation really isn't that important to
me.  I just want my afs-homed session to survive "network limbo" while
the laptop is in transit between point a and point b.

Again, I hope to help with testing and debug, not distract.  I recognize
that there is some learning curve.

Dale Pontius

--
Dale Pontius
Senior Engineer

This e-mail and its attachments, if any, may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message from your system without copying it and notify sender of the misdirection by reply e-mail.