[OpenAFS] Purging the client cache

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 21:42:58 +0000

On 9 Jan 2010, at 21:34, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Yes, although something that would make this sort of thing easier in
> the
> long run may also be of interest (it just can't be the entire
> solution).

Would making fs flushvolume not return control to the user until the
data has been removed from the cache be sufficient? This would
actually be fairly straightforward to implement.

The main reason that cache truncation occurs in the background, on
demand, is that on some OS's truncation is a slow operation. If the
truncation is user requested, then I can't see any problem in doing it
in the foreground.

A further consideration is the level of destruction of the cached
copies that you require. At the moment, all the cache manager will
ever do is truncate the cache file to 0 bytes.

S.