[OpenAFS] Setting the BOS Server's Restart Times

Esther Filderman mizmoose@gmail.com
Mon, 11 Jan 2010 16:31:36 -0500

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Gary Gatling <gsgatlin@eos.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> My boss mentioned that the restart feature was added in transarc 3.2. We are
> running openAFS 1.4.11.

The restart feature was created because Transarc AFS leaked like a
sieve with holes the size of Montana.  If you didn't restart the
fileserver after about 3 months (a lot faster, in early versions) the
fileserver would simply be this big memory-huge process doing nothing,
not answering calls or even ordering pizzas.  I remember this being a
problem as late as AFS 3.4, maybe even AFS 3.5.

OpenAFS has long since fixed a lot of the leaks Transarc did not, and
is a much more robust product.  You can safely go for many months
without restarts.

Moose