[OpenAFS] file ownership for root (UID 0)

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:34:07 -0500

"Karl Ti=C3=9Fner" <tissner@gmx.de> writes:

>> > Since it is not possible to create an user with AFS UID "0", all files
>> > created by root are not owned by root (Debian Linux, root has UID 0):
>> >=20
>> > # pts createuser -name testtest -id 0
>> > 0 isn't a valid user id; aborting
>> >=20
>> > What is the standard way to handle this problem?
>>=20
>> By declaring it not a problem, but desired behavior. Root is a local id,
>> not a network id. A member of system:administrators can chown existing
>> files to root, but that's as close as you're going to get I think.
>
> That's not really a satisfying solution. I'm forced to use the root accou=
nt, since I chroot into an AFS directory, which is the root directory on a =
server using AFS mounted clients (for network boot). Files created by root =
should be owned by root immediately.

> How do others handle this? I really can not imagine, that I am the only o=
ne using such a configuration.

aklog to an account in system:administrators
Use "cp -p" to create files with root ownership.

Unfortunately there's no way to solve the problem with 'creat()' but
without 'chown()'

-derek

--=20