[OpenAFS] All limitations of OpenAFS

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:30:40 +0100 (CET)

> - -max number of db servers in one cell?

I have seen cells with up to 7 db servers. Most cells use 3. A few use five.

I don't understand why you would want more than say 3. If you have
unreliable network connections (say between Asia and South America)
you should rather consider making more cells than one spanning the
whole area with the bad network bottleneck in the middle. Here "good"
is not bandwidth but good uptime, low packet drop and reasonable
roundtrip times (multiple satelite hops are bad).

> For a new EU project

Oh, the fun!

Which limitations are you most concerned about? What our users hit by
in the past and what we had the most difficulty to work around are:

- -max 64k slots for filenames in one directory
- -software assuming that setuid(4711) is the sole thing needed to
   access all files of user with uid 4711 for all future.

Harald.