[OpenAFS] Re: Strange problem with OpenAFS on Virtual Machine

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:34:46 -0500

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 11:09:36 -0400
Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> > allocation failed: out of vmalloc space - use vmalloc=<size> to
> > increase size.
>
> well, i don't know *why* this would be the case, unless the vmalloc
> arena is more fragmented in this case.

Google suggests you can get considerably less available vmalloc space if
you have more RAM in the machine... I have no idea why.

Claudio, if you 'cat /proc/meminfo', I think the VmallocTotal line will
tell you how much 'vmalloc' memory is available on the machine, which is
the type of memory used by the afs memcache. When you boot with 1G of
ram, it's probably around 100M; with 700M, it's probably over 200M. If
your configured cache size is over or around 100M, that would explain
it. If you want a cache that large... as derrick says, "use
vmalloc=<size>" as it tells you.

Could we not just try to kmalloc if vmalloc fails repeatedly?

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net