[OpenAFS] user home directory replication

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:59:50 -0700

Jonathan Nilsson <jnilsson@uci.edu> writes:

> At first, my concern was that perhaps "vos release" operations would
> have to copy the entire volume each time.  However, during testing the
> first vos release took several minutes, and then subsequent vos release
> were significantly faster, appearing only to copy new/modified data.
> Does anyone have any more detail on how the vos release operation works?
> Is it actually differential? block-level or file-level?

It's differential, but not as nicely differential as, say, rsync.  It's
the same method that's used for backup snapshots.  I don't recall if
there's anything block-level there or if it's strictly file-level.

> I can't think of any reason NOT to proceed with this... so if anyone who
> has tried this has any advice, it'd be much appreciated!

Various people have done this sort of thing before.  It works if you know
what you're getting into and what to expect from it.