[OpenAFS] pts create cross realm users

Gunnar Krull gklists@cs.uni-goettingen.de
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:48:09 +0200

Hi all,

I have run into a problem creating cross realm users for our cell. It all goes
fine until the username exceeds a certain length. For example:

pts createuser -name asdfasdf@student.uni-goettingen.de -cell informatik.uni-
goettingen.de
User asdfasdf@student.uni-goettingen.de has id 1638879

pts createuser -name asdfasdfa@student.uni-goettingen.de -cell informatik.uni-
goettingen.de
pts: Badly formed name (group prefix doesn't match owner?) ; unable to create
user asdfasdfa@student.uni-goettingen.de

The documentation states that the username can consists of up to 63
characters. Thus I presume that the cell name is added to the username which
indeed would exactly reach the length limit. Is that presumption correct?

Is there any way to add users with longer usernames to our cell?
Unfortunately, the Kerberos principals are mostly build like
"firstname.lastname" and also our cell name is quite long.

Thanks and regards,
Gunnar