[OpenAFS] Re: Any budding documentation writers

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 03 Mar 2010 11:46:01 -0800

Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> writes:

> Actually, I'm not sure that GSSAPI will let us do this. A
> GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE is defined as being "service@hostname", with
> no provision for specifying a realm.

> We could define the acceptor identity as a GSS_KRB5_NT_PRINCIPAL_NAME,
> but that completely ties us to using Kerberos as the GSSAPI mechanism.
> It's not clear to me whether a name defined using one OID can be
> portably used by an endpoint expecting a different OID.

Surely the client is not passing either of those into the core of rxgk but
instead is passing in the results of gss_import_name(), no?  So the client
(be it aklog or something else) can use whatever OID is most appropriate
when calling gss_import_name() for what it's attempting to do.  Or do I
misunderstand what gss_import_name() can do in this situation?

remctl uses either GSS_C_NT_USER_NAME or GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE
depending on whether the user has forced the server principal to a
particular value, but it's not tested with multimechanism GSSAPI.  I would
expect that forcing the principal name wouldn't work if the GSSAPI
mechanism chosen ended up not being Kerberos, but that's fine.