[OpenAFS] afs.GCPAGs in current releases under Linux (RHEL4/5)

Eric.Hagberg@morganstanley.com Eric.Hagberg@morganstanley.com
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 13:34:37 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> Things are quite different in 1.5 - keyrings are the authoritative
> source of PAG information. If you have time, it would be great if you
> could do the same tests with 1.5, and see if you experience similar
> problems.

This took a little longer to set up than I'd hoped, as 1.5.72 doesn't work
under RHEL4 (the platform on which I was doing most of my tests), due to
the lack of zero_user_segments and page_offset in the compiled kernel
module.

However, the results running 1.5.72 on a RHEL5 system are pretty much the
same as with 1.4.x (where x is greater than or equal to 2), wrt system
time creep.

One thing I'd noticed in RHEL4 tests (systemtap doesn't seem to give the
same result under RHEL5) is that the system time usage corresponds to high
frequencies of calling afs_ComputePAGStats. Compiling with AFS_NOSTATS
defined or commenting out the section of code in src/afs/afs_user.c that
calls afs_ComputePAGStats also relieves the problem.