[OpenAFS] OpenAFS for Windows 1.5.72, Windows 7, VPN session killing

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:43:24 -0500

On 3/13/2010 9:19 AM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> I've been using the VPN software on this box with no problems
>> for 2 weeks now.
>
> And the rest of us have been running OpenAFS and KFW for many
> years and have done so in conjunction with Cisco VPN software on
> XP and Vista.

As have I.

> So why is the problem the fault of OpenAFS or KFW?

Jeffrey, it was just a *thought* that maybe KfW or
OpenAFS under Windows 7 was doing something weird/wrong.

Is that really such a stretch, as someone who doesn't
know the source for these products inside and out, to
ping the list *to see if maybe* I've hit something that
nobody else has hit yet on such a new platform, or
maybe that someone *has* hit and has a solution for?

I ran into a new problem with the tools.  I queried
the list and provided some info.

Thanks for the detailed reply, but you seem to read an
accusatory tone of some sort into everything I type -
like I've offended you by posting to the community with
a problem I've hit, and haven't been able to figure out
yet.

I can't really grasp why a report/question about
Cisco VPN + Windows 7 and the tools these lists
revolve around is so offensive/annoying to you.

I'm sorry I don't know immediately and exactly where to
look for the cause of problems like you do.  I wish I
knew everything about everything, but I don't, and you
don't.

I posted to kerberos@mit.edu with the initial screenshot
and query.  I followed it up with something I thought
might be useful in order to get some help from someone,
running Network Identity Manager with logging on.

I then tried to narrow things down a bit and ran just
afscreds alone and got the same result.  Because I don't
have your back+front knowledge of exactly how everything
is pieced together, I thought that maybe this was just an
OpenAFS problem and the original KfW problem was because
of the OpenAFS plugin.  I posted to openafs-info.

What a pain I am.

>> I finally got around to installing OpenAFS + KfW yesterday.
>>
>> After installing OpenAFS + KfW, it continues to work fine until
>> I tickle OpenAFS, at which point the VPN session drops.
>
> You have an interop problem that you cannot explain but
> how do you expect anyone to be able to help you when you
> describe your problem in such absolute terms such as "tickle"?
>
> So far you have stated:
>
> 1. the problem is KFW
>
> 2. the problem is NetIdMgr

I never separated the two.  I stated that, to my apparently
stupid eyes, my VPN connection was dying every time I ran
KfW and tried to get credentials.  Because, uh, that's what
I saw, with the original KfW and its Network ID Manager, and
then as a test with the v2.0 Network ID Manager.  I tried it
a few times, could repeat it, had never experienced it before
under XP+OpenAFS+VPN+KfW, and queried the kerberos list to see if
"anyone has run into this?"

Apparently that's the same as saying "KfW is the problem."

> 3. the problem is OpenAFS because there are two loopback adapters
> 4. the problem is the OpenAFS authentication tool, afscreds

I never stated either of those things.

What I said was,

     "This appears to be an OpenAFS problem (?), as I can
      replicate it without Network ID Manager running."

NOTE: "appears to be" and "(?)" -- these items mean, "I
       really don't know."

and

     "I have to assume the 2 loopback adapters (VPN and AFS)
      are stomping on each other, but don't know how to fix
      that if it's the case."

NOTE: "I assume" "if that's the case" -- these items mean,
       "I really don't know."

> 5. the problem is OpenAFS when it is tickled

> Keep in mind that the Microsoft Loopback Adapter is active from the
> moment that the machine boots and that the OpenAFS Service is also
> active from boot time.  If the VPN software, which is started later
> works for some period of time and then drops, it is most likely not
> due to the installation of those packages.
>
> In the NetIdMgr v2 log that you sent to kerberos@mit.edu, you said
> that the VPN disconnect occurs at a particular time.  In the log at
> that time the MSLSA credential cache is being accessed in an attempt
> to import a TGT which is not present on your machine because you are
> using a non-Domain logon.
>
> You then later on said that the problem wasn't NetIdMgr but was instead
> OpenAFS because the problem occurs when you start the AFS Authentication
> Tool (afscreds).  As I pointed out on the kerberos@mit.edu mailing list,
> afscreds is a Kerberos v5 credential manager and it also attempts to
> import a TGT from the MSLSA: credential cache.  Both tools do so in
> an attempt to obtains AFS tokens for the user without prompting the
> user to enter a principal and password.
>
> What I bet is that you will find that if OpenAFS is uninstalled and the
> loopback adapter is uninstalled and NetIdMgr is not running that the
> problem can be reproduced by accessing the MSLSA credential cache using
> the KFW command line tools:
>
>    klist -c MSLSA:
>
>    kdestroy -c MSLSA:
>
>    ms2mit
>
>    mit2ms

Uninstalled OpenAFS + loopback adapter, Network ID Manager not
running.

None of these commands (issued in the order above) bring the
VPN session down.

kinit jblaine@RCF.OUR.ORG does, for whatever that's worth.