[OpenAFS] Maximum size of AFS volume

Andy Cobaugh phalenor@gmail.com
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:16:31 -0400 (EDT)

On 2010-03-18 at 08:55, jonathan.wheeler@stfc.ac.uk ( jonathan.wheeler@stfc.ac.uk ) said:
> Can someone say what would be maximum possible size of an AFS volume ?
> Are there any limits imposed by AFS, or are the limits
> filesystem/partition dependent ?  To be more specific, I am talking
> about a volume of up to 1 Tb (1000 Gb).

Biggest volume we have right now is ~3TB. I wouldn't recommend going much
more than 1TB, though. Bigger you go, longer it will take to do certain
operations, like vos move. This volume in particular is slated to be split
into smaller volumes in the not-so-distant future (the data doesn't easily
lend itself to that without having mountpoints in weird places, for
example, hg18 [human genome] is itself 2.2TB).

As Derrick mentioned, quotas only work up to 2TB. Any more than that and
you will have to disable the quota for the volume by setting it to 0.

Also, certain tools may report odd numbers when you go beyond 2TB, mostly
reporting large negative values - though this might be fixed in new enough
versions, I can never keep track of this stuff.

--andy