[OpenAFS] significant delay for afs user to login as root via su

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 12:13:34 -0700

ematlis@yahoo.com writes:

> Just as another data point, when I try to su from a local account, I
> experience no delay but /var/log/debug gives exactly the same output.

> And I'm still getting:

> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> xhost:  unable to open display "localhost:10.0"

> only for the case of attempting su from an AFS account, not from a local
> account.

I'm increasingly suspecting that your problem, although possibly not
Stephen's, is what you're doing with X and for some reason you don't have
tokens to your home directory at the point at which you're running an X
client that tries to read .Xauthority.  We've found at Stanford that
reading .Xauthority when you don't have permissions can take quite a while
to time out due to however the X libraries handle that process.