[OpenAFS] recommended hardware for new production environment

Jonathan Nilsson jnilsson@uci.edu
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:54:15 -0700

--0016365eec82a0396b04822e6491

Hello,

I've been testing OpenAFS for a while now, and I think we are soon ready to
start moving user accounts, home directories and other shared folders to a
production AFS environment.  I would like to know what hardware folks are
using for the OpenAFS components at a site comparable to our size:

* Approximately 500 users, each with their own user/home volume
* At least 50 to 100 shared project directories which will have their own
volume
* Total disk usage is not going to be that high... initially about 500GB,
but up to 2TB.

We are using Windows domain controllers for the user accounts and Kerberos
bits.  We plan to use a mix of Virtual Machines and physical machines for
OpenAFS database servers.  And we plan to initially have a few (3 - 4)
FileServer machines.

Mainly, I am interested in finding out how much CPU and RAM the database
server components of OpenAFS will take.  We have donated old hardware with
Dual Intel Xeon 3.06GHz processors and 4GB DDR2 RAM.  And we can also
allocate a few Virtual Machines with up to 4GB memory.

Thoughts and other feedback is much appreciated.  Thanks!
--
Jonathan Nilsson, jnilsson@uci.edu
Social Sciences Computing Services

--0016365eec82a0396b04822e6491

Hello,<br><br>I&#39;ve been testing OpenAFS for a while now, and I think we=
 are soon ready to start moving user accounts, home directories and other s=
hared folders to a production AFS environment.=C2=A0 I would like to know w=
hat hardware folks are using for the OpenAFS components at a site comparabl=
e to our size:<br>

 least 50 to 100 shared project directories which will have their own volum=
e<br>* Total disk usage is not going to be that high... initially about 500=
GB, but up to 2TB.<br>

ros bits.=C2=A0 We plan to use a mix of Virtual Machines and physical machi=
nes for OpenAFS database servers.=C2=A0 And we plan to initially have a few=
 (3 - 4) FileServer machines.<br>

e server components of OpenAFS will take.=C2=A0 We have donated old hardwar=
e with Dual Intel Xeon 3.06GHz processors and 4GB DDR2 RAM.=C2=A0 And we ca=
n also allocate a few Virtual Machines with up to 4GB memory.<br>

=3D"all">--<br>Jonathan Nilsson, <a href=3D"mailto:jnilsson@uci.edu" target=
49.824.1536, SSPA 4110, UC Irvine<br>

--0016365eec82a0396b04822e6491--